25 Mar Strawberry Bran Muffins
3 cups miller’s bran flakes
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup canola oil
1⁄2 cup molasses
2 cups low-fat buttermilk
1 cup fresh or frozen (no added sugar) sliced strawberries
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F
2. In a large bowl, mix together the bran, flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda.
3. In another bowl, combine the eggs, low-fat buttermilk, canola oil, and molasses; pour into the bran mixture and stir just enough to moisten, being careful not to over mix. Fold in the strawberries.
4. Coat the inside of a large, non-stick muffin tin with a spray oil like Pam. Spoon the filling into each cup until almost to the top. Bake for about 25 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and let stand for 2 minutes before removing muffins from the tin.
Nutrition Facts: Servings 20 muffins; 2 starch exchanges, .5 fat exchanges;159 calories with
46 calories from fat; 6 grams dietary fiber and 4 grams protein
- This recipe is courtesy of the Canola Council of Canada (www.canola-council.org).
It also appears in the Diabetes Prevention Cookbook.